May 25, 2013

A Little Extra Help?

A Little Extra Help? 
By John R. Greenwood

The strangest thing just happened to me and I'd like to share it. I was attempting to put together my presentation for next Friday's Hubbard Hall Writers event. I  purchased this banner to help promote the blog. I wanted to take a photograph of it so I could post it here and on the Raining Iguanas Facebook Page. Here I have the banner in front of our picture window. The light was right and it seemed like it would be a great spot. After grabbing the camera I started clicking away. When I went to the computer to download the shots I realized I had taken out the memory card at work and never put it back in. I was upset at myself and the thought of having to drive back to work only added to my frustration. It was then that I remembered I had purchased a spare card a few weeks ago. I would use that one. Well, as you might expect, I couldn't find that little card anywhere. I tore apart every nook and cranny in the house searching. I really wanted to get those photos so I decided to go back to work and get the memory card I left there. I went to get a pair of shoes. I'm not sure why but I grabbed my hiking shoes. I didn't need hiking shoes to drive four miles to work, slippers would have been enough, but I grabbed them anyway. As I tilted back the second shoe to put it on, something dropped into my hand. It was that memory card that I bought weeks ago. It was as if it appeared out of thin air! I got a chill and a warm flush feeling all at once. I can't explain how that card got there or what made me grab that particular pair of shoes. I called out to my wife in that, I-just-saw-a-ghost voice. I asked her to come and see what just happened. When I was done with the re-enactment, she never batted and eye and with the confidence of the Long Island Medium said, "Just say a Hail Mary". 
So I did.
Then I sat there for five minutes staring into my hiking shoe looking for answers. 






Whether a simple coincidence, or divine intervention for a missing memory card, no one will ever know, but as I got up to put my shoes back in the closet this nearby photo of my my mother seemed to be looking at me in a way I'd never seen before? 


2 comments:

  1. Oh my heavens. I love this. I vote for divine intervention and this is absolutely beautiful. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this is great. I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES my kids will say they can't find something and I lift up one piece of paper, a towel, a box and there it is. And I give them a "look".

    ReplyDelete