January 23, 2013

More Clues...

More Clues...

I think everyone who has read my posts about Walter 'Clem' Clements wants to know what this search is all about. I will try to explain. 


I possess this unwavering desire to find a left over, covered over, painted over, hidden sign from Clem. I know one still exists in the city of Saratoga Springs--I just have to find it. I have wanted to do this for quite a long time. My thought was to use my discoveries as fuel for my blog.  A sort of daily journal of my search. I was confident it would reveal a varied array of characters and sub-stories. So far that has proven to be true. I have met some wonderfully helpful people at the Saratoga Springs Public Library. I have met several new people online who have helped with links and suggestions. I have discovered a couple surprises along the way. In my search of old newspaper archives I found both obituaries of my great-grandparents on my father's side. I am named after my great-grandfather so it was a little unsettling to see the newspaper clipping stating that, John Greenwood died at the age of 72. It was fun to learn my great-grandmother's first name was Hattie (Harriet) because I always loved delivering milk to Hattie's Chicken Shack.  Hattie Mosley was one of the sweetest and most giving human beings I have ever known. It's nice knowing I have her first name intwined in my own family.  There is something pulling me, pushing me, urging me this way. I can't with all honesty tell you exactly what is fueling this passion to pursue a local sign painter's story. Clem passed away over a decade ago but I can assure you his artistic spirit is still alive and singing a vibrant song. Only moments ago after posting a request on a Facebook group page named, "You might be from Saratoga if...",   a couple responses showed up providing me with my next set of clues. I am now convinced that Clem's story is just beginning. Stayed tuned for more, "Searching for a sign from Clem." 


2 comments:

  1. John, I can understand the pull you feel. I have the same feeling as I am trying to work on our family tree. Running into odd first names, and some just repeated many times. (Many Eli's in our clan). It is also a sense of accomplishemnt when you find some info that just fills in many questions on a certain "branch".
    So keep searching, you will find it eventually. It's not always the find, but the search that makes it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I have always loved real life detective stories. I have followed trails of a few in my past. Their is something about the thrill of the hunt that keep pushing us toward discovery. I like how you are telling stories about folks that surround you and Clem. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete